Friday, September 10, 2010

Home Alone

Yesterday, started something I thought I was looking forward to for the last 15 years.....
All the kids in full day school, and the house to myself. WOW!!! Not what I thought it would be like.

Funny thing was the closer the time came for it to be reality, the more reluctant I was about it.

I worked yesterday morning and had the afternoon off. I came home and did the normal things I would. Laundry, dishes, making dinner, etc. The entire time I was looking at the clock like every 10 minutes wondering if it was time to go get the kids. It was a strange feeling of times past, when I would have quiet afternoons when the kids were napping. I kept feeling like the kids were sleeping and I needed to hurry up and get as much done as I possibly could before they woke up. Yet I knew they were not sleeping and I had a designated time to be done in order to leave to get the kids at school. Again... strange feeling.

Today was another strange feeling. After dropping the kids off at school, I went grocery shopping and came home and immediately started dinner in the crock pot ( a new recipe...which I am sad to say I don't like). Now that was nothing unusual yet, that happened last year with Babygirl in 1/2 day Kindergarten. The strange feeling came when I decided to go to the gym... I did not need to make sure the daycare was open. I did not need to hurry, or tell anyone how long I would be.....I just....went.....Now that was strange!!

I looked forward to this time for so long. Especially during the times when I just wanted to go to the bathroom, or the store or the doctors office without a fuss. And as the cliche goes you won't miss it until its gone.

It's not that I miss it (it's only been the start of it though) but it is just so different. It just is a constant reminder to me that my kids are growing up and we can never go back. Unless God has other plans than mine (which could certainly be) we will never have babies, or toddlers at home that are too young to go to school, and occupy most of my time. (I am not talking about future grandchildren that maybe this would happen for). It is just a little sobering for me.

 I am not looking to change it either. This is just the next chapter in our family story. I am looking forward to hubby taking a day off, and we can have a date day without having to find sitters and it being an ordeal. Now that will be nice.

No comments: