Thursday, April 2, 2009

Preparation

Today I decided I needed to start preparing for the 5K run that we are going to do. Yikes. I went to the gym first thing this morning and hopped right on the treadmill this time. Not after I did the eliptical. I had in mind to run as long as I could, take that as my starting point and work my way up to 3.1 miles (the length of a 5K).

So I began by warming up for 5 minutes, then began my run (ok, it was definitely more of a jog than a run, but it was faster than a walk. LOL). At the 1.5 mile mark, I was done being comfortable. I was tired, my breathing was heavy, my legs were tired, my face was bright red, and my shirt and pants absolutely soaked from sweat. But I wasn't done in my mind. I had to go farther. I pushed myself to run 2 miles continually, without stopping, without walking, without slowing the pace. I actually increased my speed the last 1/4 mile, cause, I was so done. I just wanted it to be over with faster. The faster I ran, the sooner the torture would be over. And yes, this is voluntary. I am certifiably crazy!!!! Because, it did feel like torture.

BUT.....

I did it!!!! And that felt great......well after I cooled down and didn't have jello legs anymore that is. Whether I will be able to walk tomorrow is up for debate, but that is ok. I did it!!!

So that is my news for today. Besides, the fact that hubby is away again, so I am flying solo for the next 3 days. He was gone last week for 2 days, and has to go away at the end of April again for another 3 days. I know it could be worse, but it still is hard when he is gone.

2 comments:

jo said...

yea!!!! I'm so excited for you guys. Running together is so rewarding. Its one of our very favorite things to do as a family and such a lifelong good habit for the kids.

Oneneedler said...

Aww. Thanks Joanna. We are excited too, but very nervous. We have never even walked a 5K before, well maybe at Disney World. LOL.