Saturday, November 7, 2009

A time to Remember

Last friday I had the chance to go away overnight with a bunch of girlfriends. It was a time for our small group girls to get away and bond with one another, to get to know each other deeper. To be away from our responsibilties so we could laugh, cry, sit in silence, and of course eat.

Whenever there is a good time of fellowship.... food is involved. Funny, but for the most part true. Even Jesus fellowshipped around food, take the last supper for example. Food was definitely there.

It was definitely a time to relax, and a time to remember.

When I came home, babygirl came running to me with her high pitched shrill "Mommmmmmmy's home". Wow. That little girl can get to an octave high enough to break windows. It is just amazing.

After rehashing her night and day she asks me..
"Mommy lets pretend we are getting you ready for a Ball."

I ask.."Am I a princess and you are my fairy godmother?"
Her reply "Yes, Yes Yes!!!!!"

I ask her "Do you want me to go get the make up that goes on my eyes? And the blush that goes on my cheeks?"

Her eyes lit up the room and became as big as saucers. She says "For real? Oh, yes, yes, yes."
As she is jumping up and down.

So for the next hour and a half she begins to transform my plain, no make up face to her masterpiece. Wow! She kept saying "Oh mommy, you are so gorgeous. You are beautiful." She was cooing all these little "oh's, and ah's" and any other little noise antic that communicated her delight in what she was creating on my face.

Periodically she would hold up a mirror so I could view her masterpiece in progress. Wow!

I can honestly say I was speechless.

If you did not know that a five year old did my make up, you would of thought I had been beaten and battered. I was quite the sight. Widget did not know babygirl was doing my make up and he was concerned and said " Mom, what happened?"

After the make up babygirl progessed on to my hair. She had a certain style in her mind that she wanted to do. She just couldn't quite make it happen. So I ended up in a ponytail with a ribbon around it. That's when she changed her mind and said

"Mom, let's pretend we are going to cheerleading practice instead, and you make my hair just like yours.....and can I have make up too?"

Awwww. She always wants to be twins. So I am delighted to oblige to this request since we weren't going anywhere. I did her hair like mine, but I didn't give her the black eye beaten look. I made her beautiful and she felt like the cheerleader that she wanted to be.

Such simple things, but important times to connect with my daughter. Building that relationship. Building those memories. I hope one day she will have a daughter and do these same things and to be able to say. "I did this with my mom, and I loved it."

No comments: