Saturday, February 6, 2010

Blizzard 2010

We have just gotten walloped! It has finally stopped snowing. The internet is still on and off. No phone, but we are one of the fortunate ones that has not lost power....yet.

So what does walloped equal to.... 27" of snow, with drifts up to 4, 5, or 6feet.

WOW!!! Of course everyone is talking about global warming and all. LOL.

We have been on our toes to stay constantly prepared for a power outage. I was up at 2am this morning to make coffee. I made a pot and put it in an insulated carafe, IN CASE, we lost power through the night. Had to have my coffee in the morning. We have had the bathtub filled with water, for the necessity of flushing toilets. Our batteries, flashlights, candles ready to go. We had all our cell phones, laptops, ipods, gameboys all charged up. A full tank of propane to cook on the grill. A pot of chili in the crock pot ready to be switched to cook on the woodstove if needed. A stack of wood in the garage for easy access and dryness for the woodstove, especially if we needed to use the woodstove as our only heat source. I had worked hard on catching up on the laundry, we would certainly need clean under garments. Made sure all the dishes in the sink were kept up with. Didnt need stinky dishes with no water to wash them with. Plus I bought a TON of paper products plates, utensils, plastic cups.

Needless to say, we were prepared. So far no power outages. Hopefully it will stay that way. Just because we were prepared does not mean I want it to happen.

Let me tell you....27" is a TON of snow. If you never have experienced that amount of snow, wow, let me tell you....it is too much. I love snow and all, but wow.

We needed to shovel the deck after 18" fell. We didn't know how much more was coming and we didn't want the deck to collapse. This snow was not the light fluffy snow. It is a very heavy wet snow. Great for snowmen, snowforts, and snowball fights. You can't even tell we shoveled the deck now. It has almost another 10" on it. We also needed to shovel a constant patch for the dog to go.

I can honestly say, after more than 30 hours of constant snow and wind, I was getting a little unnerved. Thinking...

"Is this ever going to stop?"
"How are we ever going to get out of here?"
"Praise God I am not on call for the hospital anymore! I don't have to be either stuck at the hospital or worry about how I was going to get there. Praise God!"
"With another storm coming in 4 days, are my kids ever going to go back to school?" (My kids have already missed 4 days of school due to past snow storms, how many are they going to miss with this storm?)
Back to
"Is this snow ever going to stop?"

It has been an adventure! I am starting to go back to really enjoying the excitment of it (now that I know, yes the snow will stop. LOL)

No comments: