Saturday, September 6, 2008

We did it!

We did it! We made it through the first week of school. It was quite a busy week. I thought having all 4 kids in school, would give me a few mornings a week that would be quiet and peaceful. If this past week was any indication of the how the rest of the year is going to be. All I can say is ...."Lord, give me strength". It has been a very emotional week. I know things should change and as time goes should get easier. I pray.

Youngest son has just NOT enjoyed first grade. He came home saying "All we did was write, write, write, have a snack. Then write, write, write, then have lunch. Then write and write, and more writing. Then you picked me up." That was his first day's impression. The rest of the week followed with "Mom, I just sometimes start crying and I don't know why. I just want you" I think he is just so overwhelmed with having to go all day (versus his half day kindergarden last year) and having a lot less play time. He is all about play. He is also young for his age. This will be our first time having a child NOT want to go to school. Oh boy here we go.

Youngest daughter has cried several times, every day at school. According to her teacher it does not last long. It is just getting used to the new environment, the schedule, and making new friends. The hardest time for her is when there is free play. She just doesn't know what to play with and who to play with. That will all change the more she is there and the more friends she makes. The one encouraging thing is, she was upset last night when I told her she did not have school the next day. She really does love school. It is just the adjustment for her.

The older 2 boys are great with school. Oldest son has had a lot more homework. He told me he is committed to being proactive instead of procrastinating. He actually did all his homework friday night so it would be done for the weekend. Praise God!!! This was an area he struggled with last year. I was afraid he was learning he could cram it all in at the last minute and still get good grades. I am so thankful for this new attitude he has....I pray it lasts all year. He also made the middle school soccer team with one of his best friends. He is so thrilled to be playing for school instead of community ball.
Second son has had a great week too. It seems 5th grade will be pretty much the same as 4th grade, just different teachers and material. He came home and asked" Mom, can I still play in the band this year and play the drums again?" My response."Josh, you know our rules. You must play an instrument in the band." His response" YES!!(with an arm pump) your the best!" I wasn't exactly excited he chose the drums last year, but it is in the band. The research out there shows how important playing an instrument is to the learning process. So we gave in to the drums with the condition he learns to play the guitar. He agreed. We will hold off the guitar until 6th grade.
Well that was our first week of school. Ready or not, here we go.

No comments: