Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A horrible situation

It's been a tough afternoon. We heard news today that a teacher at the school my older two attend, was arrested for having a sexual relationship with a former student. UGH!!!

My kids go to a christian school partly to protect them from these sort of things. Nothing has been proven, she has not been convicted, but the accusation is out there. The school did not tell the students anything during the day. They wanted Mom and Dad to handle it however they chose to.

Fortunately, she was the middle school and high school music and chorus teacher. My kids are in band and have a different teacher for that. So my kids never had her. But still because of the nature of the subject, I wanted to be able to talk to my kids about it. I know when they go back to school tomorrow the school will be buzzing about it.

According to my oldest son who has had some contact with her, she was one of the most outspoken spiritually encouraging teachers. He was really shocked by the news. Now I did not go into details of course. But I wanted my kids to go in armed with the correct information (at least what is known to us). I told them they are accusations which means it has not been proven that she did these bad things. I told my kids I expected them to handle the information with dignity. I do not want them to defame her, blast her, or tear her reputation down anymore than it has. Especially if she was found to be innocent. But even if she was guilty, it really is none of my kids business, so they need to stay out of it. I told them I want to be proud of them and how they handle themselves when put in situations where it is talked about. To remember, we all are human and make mistakes, and God loves her even if she did do this. Hate the sin, not the sinner.

I guess I just want my kids to know the truest information so they don't believe the exaggerations that are bound to come out. I don't want them to get involved and steeped into the gossip of the situation. That certainly would not be pleasing to the Lord. I asked my kids to pray for her and her family. Even if she is guilty, her family didn't ask to go through this humilition.

So after our conversation and answering their questions to the best of my ability, we pray and I put them to bed.

So did I do it right? Honestly to have to walk through this with my kids, did I do it right? I just pray that I myself handled it in a way that was pleasing to the Lord.

Part of me wants to get angry "How dare she do this to our school, and her family!!" but she has not been proven guilty. What if the kid just made this up and then I accused her of disgracing our school, when in fact most people you talk to say she is one of the best teachers they ever had. So I too have to give it up to the Lord.

What a day! I am exhausted!!

No comments: